This morning I attended a mock viva session of one of my PhD students whom I co-supervise with Dr Mahadi Bahari. While listening to the presentation, these things came into my mind…
Each PhD student has a very different, very unique journey. Do not compare your journey with your fellow PhD researchers! NEVER!
These are some general tips that I would like to share:
- When the viva session comes, DO IT ALL OUT, DO IT THE BEST THAT YOU CAN. ENJOY IT because you have spent 3-5 (or more) years of your LIFE for it!
- Normally you are given time about 20 – 30 minutes for the presentation. Make the slides informative and attractive. Highlight the points, PLEASE!!! Do not full your slides with texts! Sell your idea, your contributions.
- During the day, make sure you and your supervisor bring the hard copy of your thesis.
- Print slides for the panels, your supervisor and for yourself.
- Bring a notebook (paper) and pen to jot down the examiners comments.
- Yes, you should defend your thesis but do not be too defensive.
All the best!